Italian Turkey Sausage Stuffed Squash with Sauteed Kale & Zuchinni
The was basically the easiest dinner ever and mainly because you know I'm all about reducing food waste. By being better about using ALL of my leftovers so the catalyst was the leftover sauteed kale & zucchini from this dinner. I also bought this adorable squash from the farmers market that week which was perfect for one, and this night I was cooking solo. All I had to do was pick up two Italian turkey sausages from Whole Foods and I had all of my ingredients!
Now, most people would have probably removed the turkey sausage from the casing, and browned it to stuff as crumbles but not this girl. And I've got two reasons: 1) I never love the texture of turkey sausage crumbled up like that, don't ask why I just don't 2) I was honestly being really lazy and didn't want to do any work so in the oven those babies went.
What I used:
- 1 squash - cut long ways in half then scoop out the seeds
- 2 Italian turkey sausages (chicken works too!)
- leftover kale & zucchini (you could use any green but kale was a nice addition)
- Set your oven to 400 degrees
- Drizzle the inside of the squash with oil then place the squash skin side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 30 minutes or until fork tender from the skin side (just poke it!)
- At the same time, add the turkey sausage to a pyrex baking dish and drizzle with oil, pop in the oven for about the same amount of time, flipping occasionally to get all sides browned.
- Once done, cut into coin shaped pieces and then in halves or quarters until the sausage is bite sizes. Pile it into your squash and either serve right away or cover with foil and pop back in at 350 for about 15 minutes when ready to serve which is what I did.
- Heat up your leftover greens and enjoy!