Homemade Kale Pesto - Vegan, Paleo, Whole30 Approved
Let's start by remembering I'm not a vegan, I'm not even a vegetarian. I certainly eat dairy and items that aren't paleo or whole30 however I like to try out recipes and meals that fall into these categories because 1) a lot of people choose these food lifestyles 2) its a fun challenge 3) I do feel better when I eliminate dairy and other inflammatories from my diet 4) if you want this to have cheese, go ahead and add it in! Other note, I had some kale that needed to be used up and figured this was a creative way to sneak it into the pesto. I've posted a funny video below & on Facebook of the whole process which is sped up, but in total it took me about 9 minutes.
What I used:
- 1/3 bunch of kale
- big handful of basil
- 2 fistfuls of pine nuts (option to lightly toast)
- oil (grape seed is my preference but olive oil is great too)
- big sprinkle of nutritional yeast (new at Trader Joe's it's just $2.99)
- juice from 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- 2-3 cloves garlic
Blend it all together in your Vitamix or other blender until you like the consistency. Keep adding oil and lemon juice to thin out.
Modifications (There are so many!)
- Use any other green like spinach or parsley.
- Use any variety of nut like walnut or cashew.
- Instead of nutritional yeast, use grated parmesan.
- Add avocado for extra good fat and a super creamy texture
- Just buy premade pesto from basically any store :-)