Vegan Cauliflower Mac N Cheese
So now that I've made these veggie-based cream sauces (here & here) that don't have any dairy, nuts, or nutritional yeast I am really kind of considering it to be my greatest vegan accomplishment. The only downside is that the finished product of pasta in the sauce is really only good while hot then the consistency gets a little funny, HOWEVER, with this batch I had tons of extra "sauce" so I popped it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. My hope is that next time I want a creamy vegan pasta I can simply defrost and add to freshly cooked pasta, also have I mentioned that I'm obsessed with this brown rice/quinoa fusilli from Trader Joe's? What I Used:
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 cups of Trader Joe's Brown Rice & Quinoa Fusilli
- 3-4 ladles of the pasta water
- optional 2-3 tablespoons of homemade almond milk
- Roast the cauliflower florets with oil and a pinch of salt in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30-40 minutes until golden and tender. You can easily do this ahead of time, you just want to make sure your cauliflower is done cooking before you start cooking the pasta
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add your pasta (cook by package instructions).
- Add the cauliflower, 5-6 ladles full of the starchy water and an optional splash of almond milk, blend until smooth and a sauce-like consistency. Keep adding the starchy water to thin it out if needed, I used almost all of the water from the pot.
- Then toss your drained pasta in the sauce and serve it up hot! I added it to a dinner of roasted Italian turkey sausage and simple kale and avocado salad