Pumpkin Smoothie Oatmeal Bowl: Imperfect Produce
Growing up, we occasionally went skiing, but after a few years of that as a little kid we turned into one of those families that only took warm weather vacations, and that's pretty much how I've rolled ever since. Now don't get me wrong, I think winter sceneries are beautiful, the problem is that I LOATHE winter sports, and it's mainly because I hate the sensation of being all hot and sweaty under my clothes but being chilled to the bone in my extremities...I've got sensitive fingers and ears, not my fault! Anywho, I mention this because although I HATE that physical juxtaposition of being simultaneously hot and cold, I actually enjoy that in food.. weird right? All of that is to lead you to a post on this strange but delightful combination of cold smoothie bowl and hot oatmeal, mixed together (well kind of, see I'm not one of those people who swirls it all together but rather takes little bites containing a bit of each thing).
The catalyst for this recipe was the fact that in my Imperfect Produce box one week they were sadly short on butternut squash so instead sent me some pumpkins. At first, I was like UHHHH what in the heck am I going to do with pumpkins but after some google searches, I realized I just needed to roast them like any other gourd. So that's what I did, and then I scooped out the yummy inside, mashed it up, and made a smoothie out of it. Well, two.
PS for 20% off your first box of Imperfect Produce, use code ALMONDSANDASANA.
What I used:
- 1 small pumpkin, remove stem, cut in half, scoop out seeds (save to roast!)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 frozen banana (or not frozen if you don't want it to be as cold)
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats (cooked per package instructions)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- a few blueberries
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- Place the pumpkin halves face down (skin up) on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast at 425 for about 40 minutes or until fork tender. Scoop the inside out and mash it up with a fork.
- Add the pumpkin, chia seeds, cold water, and frozen banana to the blender and blend until smooth
- Cook the oatmeal (I do it in the microwave, takes about 3 minutes)
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl, then spoon in the oatmeal on top
- Garnish with blueberries, hemp seeds, and peanut butter