Easy Dinner Idea: Chicken Sausage with Squash & Vegan Pesto Gnocchi
I would say 70% of the time I am all about putting together healthful, easy, simple meals. Sometimes I like to get creative, making my own sauces or marinates or spice blends. But for the most part, the way we eat is simple but delicious. There's something to be said for minimal quality ingredients making a satisfying meal, and it's really the best way to nourish your body and mind in this fairly chaotic world we live in.
I never like to advocate for the idea of not having ANY time to cook or prepare your meals, but I understand the reality of the fact that most people have long work days, kids or other personal obligations, and on top of that want time to exercise, see friends, catch up on tv shows etc. That's why meals like this are perfect.
For this meal, I had my husband grill the sausages and squash but they could easily be done by roasting in the oven at about 425 degrees (the sausages would take about 30-40 minutes, the squash probably 15-20).
What I Used:
- 2 chicken sausages per person
- 1 yellow squash per person, cut in half short ways then into 1/4 inch thick slabs drizzled with oil, salt & pepper
- 1 package of Cappellos' Gnocchi (for 2 people)
- 1/2 carton (about 3-4 tbsp) of Gotham Greens Vegan Pesto
- For the sausages, I had my husband grill them but they could easily be done by roasting in the oven at about 425 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.
- For the squash, I also had my husband grill them but they could be done inside by cutting them into half moons and simple sauteeing or roasting int he oven on a parchment lined sheet pan with a bit of olive oil, salt & pepper at 425 for about 20 minutes.
- For the pasta, cook per package instructions (if you use Cappello's they only take about 3-4 minutes to cook once the water comes to a boil). Then toss with pesto and voila!